Forums

Help identifying seed from France

Seed ID Forum Seed ID Forum Seed Morphology and Identification Help identifying seed from France

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ID00001802fde1e704db4880eb150437c7ed58c5d7795d1aa 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hello everybody,

I am trying to identify a seed but I can’t… Can anyone help me, please? I found the fruit first, rather woody and hard to break. It is about 5mm X 5 mm. Once broken (photo n°3) there was a seed but very damaged…. I think it may be a tree or shrub seed…. Found in France in a lot of buckwheat.
    Thanks a lot!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hello Silvia,

The seed looks familiar, if you look up seeds of Strychnos nux-vomica online, do they look like your seed? I’m wondering if your fruit might be too small for this species.

The seeds of this species are about 1.0 cm in diameter. What is the size of your seed?

One more question – was the buckwheat grown in France?

Thank you, Jennifer

Hello Jennifer,
    thank you for the tip, but I don’t think it is this species. I took new photos of the nut and the seed inside; nut is round with a diameter of about 0.5cm; it is a woody nut hard to break, and inside there is a seed unfortunately not well formed, without any details that can help me to identify at least the family. And yes, buckwheat grown in France.
    It’s a real enigma for us!

Thank you!
    Silvia

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hello Silvia,

Thank you for the clarification and images of the nut and seed. It looks like to me a species from the Oleaceae. They tend to have fruit with large pits, but Phillyrea latifolia has nuts that are ~ 5 mm in diameter. The seed inside is round, translucent reddish-brown coloured with a wrinkled surface that looks like a reticulate pattern with small interspaces.

Does this sound like your mystery nut and seed?

Thank you, Jennifer

Hello Jennifer,
    I’m sorry for the delay in replying to your message.
    I asked a tree seed producer if he had any Phyllirea seeds to give me to compare with mine. He did not have P. latifolia but P. angustifolia (both used as ornamentals) and the nut already looks very similar. I think the mystery is almost solved. In any case, I think the family is right.
    Thank you very much, it is always a pleasure to exchange informations with you and thank you also for all the ISMA material to help us to identify seeds!

Thank you,

Silvia

Hello Silvia,

Excellent! I’m very glad I could help you with this mystery 🙂 .

A question – would you mind if I used your images as examples of good images for an upcoming workshop July 14th? If so, could you let me know how you would like you or your lab acknowledged?

Thank you, Jennifer

Hello Jennifer,
    my colleagues and I would be happy to let you use the photos! the name of our laboratory is Labosem and we would like to use our logo if it’s possible. Can I send it to you privately?

Best regards,

Silvia

Hello Silvia,

Thank you very much, my email is jennifer.neudorf(at)inspection.gc.ca

Best, Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,
    I wrote you an email to your private address with our logo as attachment.

My professional email is
    silvia.curnis@labosem.fr

Best regards,
    Silvia

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.