Forums

Help identifying seed from France – Fabaceae?

Seed ID Forum Seed ID Forum Seed Morphology and Identification Help identifying seed from France – Fabaceae?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ID00001802fde1e704db4880eb150437c7ed58c5d7795d1aa 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hello,
    We found 2 seeds in a Trifolium squarrosum sample (french production). They look like a Fabaceae, but we did not arrive to identify the genus. We did not have seeds like this in our collection. I wonder if they can be some immature Vicia sp. seeds?
    They are small (2 mm), round shape, mottled and shiny.

Can someone help us?
    Thanks in advance.

Silvia

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hello Silvia,

I hope all is well with you and your lab. These seeds look like Vicia parviflora to me – 2 mm size, densely black mottled pattern, very short hilum, and a slightly protruding hilum and lens. I think the images are well done with all the identification features visible!

I hope this helps, Jennifer

Hello Jennifer,
    We are fine, thank you, I hope you are too. Thank you for this identification, we found it again this week in another sample. This is usefull for improving our seed collection.

I am happy to see that this forum is getting more and more popular.

Kind regards,

Silvia

Hi Silvia,

How are you doing?

We recently found a seed like this and we took it to a seed determination course, and they identified it as Lotus maritimus. Maybe this is the same seed? I have attached a link to the digital plant atlas.
    https://plantatlas.eu/repository/1069

Kind regards,

Annika

Hello Annika,
    I’m sorry , I see your post only today! I’m fine thanks and you?
    I saw your link but I think it’s not our seed because the hilum is not really round shaped like Lotus, but thank you for your help.
    Do you know that ISTA will do a workshop on purity in Cambridge on juin? Will you be there?
    I hope to see you in Cambridge!

Kind regards,

Silvia

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.