Forums

Seeds from a member of the Apiacea family?

Seed ID Forum Seed ID Forum Seed Morphology and Identification Seeds from a member of the Apiacea family?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ID00000564d058b9a90cb8e16bce5351da67a863c0bb213a7 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Seeds taken from a died back umbelliferous plant that looks like it may have grown to nearly 2m in height.

We didn’t see the plants in flower or with leaf, so only have the dried stems with remaining umbels and seeds to go by. Present guess is either Fennel or Angelica?

Seeds image: uses a ‘mm scaled’ ruler on 5mm square paper.

Location image: urban roadside, in Battle, East Sussex, TN33 0EY, England at <https://w3w.co/misty.eclipses.monitors&gt;

Help with id would be much appreciated.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hello Bev,

Yes, I think these seeds do belong to the Apiaceae family! I have a few questions to get a better understanding:

Can you see any vittae (brownish oil ducts) on the seed between the ridges?
    If so- are they thin, or wide with an expanded end and how far do the vittae extend to the other end of the seed?

Just a caution – there are a few species in the Apiaceae (notably Hogweeds) that can have skin-irritating compounds in the sap and seed oils.

Thank you, Jennifer

Jennifer

Thanks for your very quick reply. Firstly re the caution, I do know about Hogweed’s skin iritation characteristc, but fortunately these seeds are very dry and I did not break any pods open!

I am attaching some images from a very newly acquired microscope, so not yet comfortabale using it but images may answer your questiosn about vittae – there does seem to be hint of thin ones, though deciding if they reach the other end is less obvious. Maybe some help?
    Best
    Bev

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hello,

Congratulations on your new microscope, and these are great close-up pictures. I think I see thin vittae between the ridges as well, but I’m not sure which species as of yet.

Could I see the back of the seed please? The vittae and ridge pattern is different on each side and can show different identification features.

Did you notice any features when the plant was alive? Such as flower colour and if the leaves were wide-lobed or narrow and filamentous?

Thank you,, Jennifer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.