Forums

Unknown Seeds from the inside of a snake

Seed ID Forum Seed ID Forum Seed Morphology and Identification Unknown Seeds from the inside of a snake

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ID00000564d058b9a90cb8e16bce5351da67a863c0bb213a7 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello!

I am a PhD student at the University of Florida in the US. I am studying the invasive Burmese Python in the Florida Everglades, and keep finding seeds in their gut contents (assumedly from cheek pouches and stomachs of the critters they are consuming) I would love some help identifying these seeds and tried the ID guide, but I didn’t see any matches.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hello Kate,

I think this is an interesting project in an important ecosystem!

I have some ideas to the identity of these seeds. Since the surface and fine details are a bit unclear, please check out seed images online to see if they are a match. Let us know what you find out!

IMG_1605 – Cladium jamaicense, Cyperaceae
    12Nov19 – Sphagneticola trilobata, Asteraceae
    21Nov16 – Melothria pendula, Cucurbitaceae

Thank you, Jennifer

Hello,

I am so sorry for my delayed response—the email notifications went to my junk mail!

I ended up taking the seeds into the herbarium at the univserity and using the seed bank and you were spot on Jennifer! Incredible. I am very impressed.

I don’t know if you’d be interested in possibly collaborating further, I have a friend studying invasive Tegus in the same area and she is finding a ton of seed variety in their guts–both of us are always looking for experts to help us out! My email is Ka.Davis@ufl.edu if you’d like to discuss further.

Thanks again,

Kate

Hello,

That’s great that you found a resource to check your seeds, and thank you for your feedback!

Feel free to post more images of your or your colleague’s seeds to this Forum. Let us know if the number of seed images might be too large for a series of posts.

Are these Tegus also former pet releases, or did they arrive to Florida by other means?

Thank you, Jennifer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.